Allison Alberty is a senior Communication major, minoring in Political Communication, and concentrating in Public Relations at GMU. Originally from Ashland, Ohio, she wanted to pursue her goal as a director of communication or press secretary on Capitol Hill.
Currently, she is a spring 2023 social media marketing intern for the GMU Washington Scholars Program, which offers summer programs for high school students from across the country. The programs are the Washington Youth Summit on the Environment (WYSE) and the Washington Journalism and Media Conference (WJMC), and include hands-on learning from industry leaders and introduces students to different approaches to journalism and conservationism. For her internship, Allison creates content for the social media accounts to create program interest. Her direct supervisor is the Program Director and Associate Director.
Various assigned projects allow Allison to expand her knowledge and experience in social media marketing and apply learning from her Mason courses in PR. Some of her tasks include:
- creating social media content that is relatable and appropriate for high schoolers,
- answering students and parents’ questions on the social media accounts regarding the programs,
- remaining connected with alumni of the program by involving them in posts and Instagram story Q & As
- creating a communication plan for the semester, and
- helping set up and work Mason Admission events.
Through each task, Allison better understands the responsibility and dedication of working in public relations. Each day she enjoys the opportunity to learn professional skills in a professional environment which will help finding full time employment after graduation in May.
April 19, 2023