Leia Pequignet is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations.
This summer she is interning at United Way Worldwide working remotely as a donor
communication intern. United Way Worldwide is the largest non-profit in the United States with its headquarters based in Alexandria, VA. The organization's mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world to advance the common good.
Leia’s immediate supervisor is the manager of donor communications in the Investor Relations department. This internship provides Leia with a better understanding of communication in the non-profit world and allows her to expand her professional skill set.
Her tasks include:
- Create and update external-facing marketing materials such as custom impact reports, stewardship reports, and acknowledgment and thank you letters;
- Write, edit, or review recurring external communications, such as newsletters and donor Journeys;
- Support efforts in positioning and communicating strategies and products with existing and potential partners;
- Collaborate with team members to generate ideas on enhancing partner recognition efforts;
- Conduct research on competitors’ best practices as needed.
Each task gives Leia the opportunity to grow not only as a communication professional but also as a hard-working individual. She realizes her good fortune because she is immersed in an environment where she can actively learn new skills in the professional world of communication.
June 22, 2020