Leia Pequignet is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations. This spring semester she is interns at the Side-Out Foundation in Fairfax as a marketing and communications assistant. The foundation is a non-profit that raises funds through the sport of volleyball for their stage IV breast cancer research. Side-Out has raised over $15 million for a game-changing first of its kind clinical trial. Leia’s immediate supervisor is the director of communications. The internship provides her with a better understanding of the field of public relations and allows her to expand her professional skill set.
Some of Leia’s tasks include:
- Create and manage social media content
- Write content for the foundation’s blog
- Coordinate a special project named “The Crane Project”
- Assist with the strategizing and execution of campaigns and marketing projects
- Assist with the production of YouTube videos for the organization’s channel.
Each task gives Leia the opportunity to grow as a hard-working public relations professional. She is immersed in the environment, and actively learns new skills about the professional world of communication. Leia realizes how lucky she is to have this excellent internship opportunity.
February 21, 2020