Nicholas Dagrosa is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations. This Summer 2019, Nicholas is working as a marketing and public relations intern at the Cape May Convention Hall, a city building which handles the marketing, advertising, and public relations efforts for events happening in America’s oldest seashore resort town. The Convention Hall also serves as a wedding venue, a concert hall, and the location for dozens of family friendly events occurring throughout the summer. Nicholas’ immediate supervisor is the director of marketing for the city of Cape May. The various assigned projects allow Nicholas to expand his knowledge of the field of public relations and marketing, and apply what he has learned from his Mason courses in public relations. Some of his internship tasks include:
- Assisting as a recreation and tourism ambassador
- Posting content to the City of Cape May’s Facebook page
- Filing records of internal and external communication efforts completed through social media, flyers, press releases, and paid and earned media.
- Completing ticket sales over the phone and in person for the Convention Hall’s Summer Concert Series
- Generating reports on ticket sale revenue through Microsoft Excel.
With each task assigned Nicholas learns more about the interworking of a city’s communication and public relations efforts. From meeting the City’s mayor and various chamber members to interacting with the public, Nicholas has learned much about what it takes to work as a public relations professional serving a thriving city.
July 16, 2019