Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Johnson Center, Dewberry Hall
The 2018 Annual Fall Forum is focusing on student career preparation with a special mentoring event, "Pathways to Your Future." Leading communication professionals will sit face-to-face with our students in small-group, interactive sessions. Each mentor represents Mason Communication Department's areas of concentration and will help show students where those studies can lead: public relations, journalism, media production, human resources, sports marketing, political communication, public affairs and more. See the list below and register now for the mentor of your choice for the first session. You'll be able to move to several other tables during the program. Kicking off the event for the keynote address is our special guest and hometown star, sports broadcaster and program host Lindsay Czarniak.
This event is sponsored by George Mason University's Insight Committee of the Department of Communication, a volunteer advisory board comprising experienced leaders in professional communication. This group annually sponsors an on-campus event to provide students access to and advice from leading professionals.
There are two components to the event: keynote and mentoring. For more information about the keynote and mentors please click here to see the 2018 program.
1.) Keynote Speaker- Lindsay Czarniak
2.) Mentoring Session – students will rotate between tables, meeting with mentors about networking, how to search for and land jobs, allowing students to explore their passion in communication and related professions.
8:30 a.m. Registration Opens
8:45 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. Networking reception and light refreshments
9:15 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. Welcome and Introductions
9:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Keynote Address
10:05 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Mentoring Sessions
*There will be six rounds of 20 minute mentoring sessions
***Students: Remember to dress to impress! Please wear business casual clothing!
Table 1 Internal Communication/Interpersonal Communication
• Paige Healey, Manager of Internal Communications, Northrop Grumman Corporation
Table 2 Federal Government/Social Media
• Lori Lawson-Dischner, Digital Engagement Specialist, U.S. Department of State
Table 3 Local Government/State Government
• Matt Guilfoyle, Associate Superintendent for Communications and Technology Services, Prince William County Schools
Tables 4/5 External Relations/Corporate Communications/Strategic Marketing
• Logan Rice, Employee Communications Representative, Northrop Grumman Corporation
• Cameron Batten, VP US Card Communication, Capital One
Table 6 Non-Profit
• Lauren Lawson-Zilai, Senior Director of Public Relations, Goodwill Industries International
Table 7 Trade Associations
• David Greer, VP Communications, National Association of Realtors
Table 8 Political Communications
Jeff Sadosky, Partner, Forbes Tate Partners
Tables 9/10 Media Relations
• Andy Cuneo, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, Polycom
• Karlene Koh, Corporate Public Relations Representative, Northrop Grumman Corporation
Table 11 Media Production
• Laura Neal, Post Production Manager, Smithsonian Channel
Tables 12/13 Journalism
• Angie Goff, Broadcast Journalist, NBC4
• Bill Lord, formerly News Director at WUSA-TV
Table 14/15 Public Relations
• Julie Murphy, Partner & VP, Sage Communications
• Rebecca Ballard, SVP, Managing Director, Head of Communication and Culture, Hill+Knowlton Strategies
Table 16 Human Resources
• Amy Derrickson, HR Manager, Hill+Knowlton Strategies
Table 17 Advertising/Marketing
• Suann Lee, Sr. Account Manager, WTOP News, FederalNewsRadio.com
Table 18 Sports
• Tony Wyllie, Senior Vice President, Communications, The Washington Redskins
Breakfast Reception Sponsor:
Hosted by The Department of Communication and the Insight Committee.