The Role of the News Media in the Trump Era
Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM
Johnson Center, Cinema
Christian Science Monitor Editor Mark Sappenfield and Washington editor Peter Grier will discuss the challenges today and in the future for media outlets and reporters. The seminar is aimed both at students interested in learning how leaders in the media view their current and future role given the current political climate and those interested in journalism as a possible career.
CSM Editors Mark Sappenfield and Peter Grier will discuss will address the following:
- How has the editorial process changed during the Trump era?
- How do reporters “vet” anonymous sources?
- What’s the role of a journalist when the administration expresses hostility toward the media?
- How do leaders in the news media view their current and future role given today’s political climate?
- Peter is covering the impeachment hearings! Get his perspective on reporting the story!
- For information about the CSM, please click here. The CSM is known for its unbiased coverage. Click here for info from an outside source.
- Students should come armed with questions. Mark and Peter are game to take this discussion in the direction students wish it to go.